Re: RFC: White Space Handling In XML Parsing

John Cowan wrote:

> Joel A. Nava wrote:
>
> > 3) Elements that do not specify a value for the 'xml:space'
> >    attribute inherit that value from the element in which
> >    they are contained up to the root element. If the root
> >    element does not specify a value for the 'xml:space'
> >    attribute, the value 'default' is assumed.
> >
> > [This is what the XML REC requires.]
>
> Actually not.  The last paragraph of clause 2.10 says:
>
> # The root element of any document is considered to have
> # no intentions as regards application space handling,
> # unless it provides a value for this attribute or the
> # attribute is declared with a default value.
>
> So there are really three possible states of "xml:space" as inherited:
> default, preserve, and clueless.

That pretty much depends on how you define "xml:space=default". Is
'default' a specific behavior, or is 'default' really "no intentions as
regards application space handling". My understanding of the XML REC is
that there are only two possible states: preserve and default, where
default and clueless are pretty much the same.

In no place does it really say what 'default' should be, which is what
the WS RFC attempts to clarify.

Arkin