Re: Level 2 - DTDs?

At 10:30 AM 12/28/98 -0500, you wrote:
>The most often cited reason for not wanting to tackle DTDs in Level 2 was
>that there is a lot of impetus to define a standard XML-syntax "schema" to
>replace DTDs, and we didn't want to spend a lot of time supporting DTDs

Again, I apologize for barging in and asking someone to rehash
something already said many times over.  But ... may I ask if it
would be appropriate at this stage to consider or even to make
a specific proposal introducing a very small set of methods which would
today use information gotten from the DTD, perhaps later from a schema,
and would provide something quite useful without covering the full
expressiveness (or, if you will, arcaneness) of a DTD?  For example, I could
do quite a lot with only a single method which would return the set
of elements permitted in a context.

I personally think it is needed in level 2 although it may well be
less important that the 4 work items selected and, yes, I did not
participate in the prior discussions anyway.  But if the process
is such that such an idea could be entertained I do volunteer to
do the work on making a proposal which respects the overall objectives
of Level 2.

Michael Leventhal
Michael Leventhal                     mle@citec.fi
Architecture/Development              +358 6 324 0738
CiTEC Information Technology          +358 50 537 6091 (GSM)