Re: parentNode

At 06:08 PM 7/28/98 -0400, keshlam@us.ibm.com wrote:
>     There are other ways of creating nodes, however: most languages have a
>     "new" operator.
>
>It's legitimate to say "That will allocate the space but will not produce a
>properly initialized/valid/usable object."

I think the basic issue is that the DOM defines interfaces, not classes,
therefore we simply cannot define constructors for classes we say nothing
about.  We can define factory methods, and that's what we do.  The actual
classes that get instantiated by our factor methods may bear only
superficial resemblance to the DOM APIs, so there is no reason to think DOM
code that called new() would even compile, much less work, across
implementations.