Re: parentNode

keshlam@us.ibm.com writes:

> In Java, you can create an object that has no public constructor, in which
> case "new" will simply not be available. That's part of how one enforces
> singletons and factories and static-only classes and some of the other
> design patterns. (Gods know I've done it accidentally enough times.) This
> does require that you not inherit from anything that has a public
> constructor, and/or that you override it to private.

That's true, but fortunately the DOM spec doesn't say anything about the
presence or absence of public constructors, nor of any other other
extensions to the interfaces it specifies.

> Can't vouch for Smalltalk; I can sometimes read the language but have never
> written it.

In Smalltalk, all methods are public.

--
 Stephen R. Savitzky   Chief Software Scientist, Ricoh Silicon Valley, Inc.,
<steve@rsv.ricoh.com>                            California Research Center