From:  donpark@quake.net
Sent:  08 May 1998 11:41
To:  www-dom@w3.org
Subject:  Re: NodeIterators & Java implementation

One topic that is missing from the spec is how to free/delete/release
objects obtained through DOM.  For example, what should one do with Node
returned by Node.removeChild?  Document interface has methods for
creating
objects but nothing to delete them.  Are we do assume that language
specific
facilities are to be used?  Do we use 'delete' operator or 'free()' under
C++?  What about CORBA and COM-based implementations?  One does not just
'delete' under COM.

Also how do we know which objects should be deleted and which one should
not
be?  What is wrong is designating 'release' on Node as well as iterators
as
Java specific delete facility?  For that matter, why not move it all the
way
up so everyone can standardize on the delete facility?  It would certain
remove a lot of headaches.  If one is smart enough to invoke
getNodeChilds,
why is requiring invokation of release() too much?

Don Park
http://www.docuverse.com/personal/index.html