Re: Entity Declarations

At 01:19 AM 4/30/98 -0400, Jeff wrote:
>>It may also make sense to include an enum that
>>>provides information about the type of entity: INTERNAL, EXTERNAL, PARSED,
>>>UNPARSED, etc.
>>
>>As I understand it, internal entities are expanded by an XML processor, so
>>the DOM never sees them. You're right about needing a Parsed/Unparsed
>>attribute; this was apparently discussed at last week's WG meeting.
>

>Understandable. But what if the DOM forms the core of the XML processor
>implementation? It should be possible to reproduce an ENTIRE document,
>not just an intermediate representation of a document.

You're right; I've come to realize that I was extrapolating too far from
the DOM draft spec's statement on entity handling in core in my previous
reply.  I'm speaking for myself since it's clear that this is not clearly
laid out in the spec, but from some informal consultations on this I think
it's clear that we need to a) clarify the relationship between DOM and the
XML processor and b)we need to put type information on the
EntityDeclaration object so that the DOM user can tell what it is and where
the declaration was found.

Thanks for your persistence in setting me straight here!

Mike Champion