Re: Comments about the Java DOM interfaces

At 02:16 PM 12/18/97 -0500, Paul Prescod wrote:
>I'm jumping into the conversation with very little context, but my
>question is simple:
>
>Shouldn't the Java DOM interfaces be completely specified by the
>intersection of the DOM IDL specification and the OMG IDL->Java mapping?
>What is there to design?

We are using the IDL as an abstract way of specifying interfaces, not as a
way of defining distributed systems. Looking at the output of Sun's
idltojava, it is very complex, and most of this complexity has nothing to
do with what we are actually trying to accomplish. I think the best way to
see this may be to download the idltojava program from Sun and compare its
output with the code we created.

It is true, however, that most of this conversion can be automated, and we
do use an automatic process for all of it except for the enums. I may
automate that as well once we have figured out exactly what we want to do.

By the way, Paul, it was great meeting you in person at SGML '97. I've seen
so many of your posts, and I really like to be able to visualize the people
whose posts I am reading.

Jonathan

jonathan@texcel.no
Texcel Research