Re: Questions about the :focus-visible heuristics

On Fri, Feb 19, 2021 at 12:50 PM Alice Boxhall <aboxhall@google.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 19, 2021 at 12:38 PM Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Feb 18, 2021 at 5:33 PM Alice Boxhall <aboxhall@google.com>
>> wrote:
>> > An <input> will always match :focus-visible when focused, because it
>> takes text input.
>>
>> Sure, but there were two rules that defined different outcomes there.
>> I can tweak the text to make it clear that the "focus transfer" rule
>> is subordinate to the preceding rules.
>>

> Sounds good.
>

>> > It might be worth going through the WPT tests to get a feel for what
>> behaviour is and isn't expected.
>>
>> Hm, these aren't marked as optional, which implies that the heuristics
>> aren't heuristic at all, and actually *are* required behavior. Is this
>> the case? If so, then I need to fix up the 2119 language usage; Elika
>> and I shifted the text today in the *opposite* direction, removing the
>> 2119 words and explicitly marking it as an example of possible
>> heuristics.
>>

> We can mark them as optional.
>
> In any case, I recommend going through them (they're written so that you
> can interact with them manually) to see what the language is intended to
> convey.

I just wanted to bump this up as the most important part of my original
message, since it seemed to get lost multiple times in discussing whether
these tests should be optional.

Please go through the tests before changing any of the spec text, and make
sure it lines up with what the tests are testing.

Edits for clarity would be helpful, but please don't remove any language
just because you don't understand it. The tests should help with the
understanding part, hopefully.