Re: Spaces and full width punctuation in Korean

hi f&F,

I'd quite like to know the answers to these questions too.  I did a
little research:

한글 맞춤법, 한글 맞춤법[문화체육관광부고시 제2017-12호(2017. 3. 28.)] 바로
가기
<https://www.korean.go.kr/front/page/pageView.do?page_id=P000209&mn_id=30>
(Hangul Spelling [Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism Notice No.
2017-12 (March 28, 2017)]) contains a number of gaps, but says

reductionenlargement

"12. Square brackets ([ ])

In the previous regulation, brackets were presented as'〔 〕', but in the
amendment, they were changed to '[ ]'.The basic form was suggested as'[
]'considering that'〔 〕'was not used well before revision and'[ ]'was
mainly used.However, it does not mean that you cannot write'〔 〕'.If
necessary for design or editing,'〔 〕' can be used in square brackets."

https://www.korean.go.kr/front/page/pageView.do?page_id=P000203&mn_id=30

However, this is a page that uses the mathematical sign
≫ U+226B MUCH GREATER-THAN
for quote marks a little further down the page, so i'm not prepared to
fully trust it.

Requirements for Hangul Text Layout and Typography : 한국어 텍스트 레이아웃
및 타이포그래피를 위한 요구사항
Says that full-width characters are used
(https://w3c.github.io/klreq/#fonts-faceposnparens), but seems to
indicate that they are more common in (though not exclusive to) vertical
text https://w3c.github.io/klreq/#fonts-faceposnparens
It's not clear, even in their (unfortunately graphic only) examples,
what is the relationship with U+0020 space.

In my own notes at https://r12a.github.io/scripts/hangul/#quotations
there is a mention that spaces are used before but not after quote
marks, but it's not clear to me why, and although the examples are
text-based, i don't seem to have listed the source. Grr.

Maybe the best thing to do is raise a question at
https://github.com/w3c/klreq/issues and cc @jihyerish, @soon-bum,
@peremen and @studioego.  May be best to start with some questions such as
- where and how often does Korean use full-width punctuation?
- is full-width punctuation used alongside ASCII space?

hth (but probably not much)
ri