Re: Fwd: [css-grid] question on clamping grid items to fixed track size

From: Mats Palmgren <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2018 12:47:17 -0700
To: "www-archive@w3.org" <www-archive@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2018 17:20:15 +0100
From: Mats Palmgren
To: fantasai

On 2/12/18 3:27 PM, Mats Palmgren wrote:
 > (CC Rego and me if you file a spec issue, otherwise one of us surely
 > will ;-) )

FYI, Rego just filed https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/2303
which summarizes the two separate issues that came up in bug 1427608.
The first is how the intrinsic size of the grid container should be
computed.  Personally, I think the spec is crystal clear about that
in "5.2. Sizing Grid Containers":
https://drafts.csswg.org/css-grid/#intrinsic-sizes
"The max-content size (min-content size) of a grid container is the sum of
the grid container’s track sizes (including gutters) in the appropriate
axis, when the grid is sized under a max-content constraint (min-content
constraint)."

The second issue is the one we're discussing here: how/when clamping
should be applied (which obviously affects the sizes in the first issue).

/Mats