Re: IDNA, IRIs, and ://..../ authority field

On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 5:23 PM, Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com> wrote:
> If 'hostname' is a non-ASCII string (IDN), should a processor trying to convert the IRI to a URI use punicode or %xx-hex-encoding for the authority segment?

Per the URL standard, this depends on the scheme.

> WHATWG
>     http://url.spec.whatwg.org/  (Anne, Leif)

Just me.

>     has a fixed set of relative schemes: ftp, file, gopher (a mistake?), http, https, ws, wss
>    Uses IDNA 2003 not 2008
>    I'm not sure, but I think it re

Did you omit something here?

I talked with Mark a couple of weeks ago and will update the URL
standard to refer to UTS #46 and use it's transitional mode for IDNA
ToASCII and ToUnicode processing. I'm waiting for UTS #46 to be
refreshed this summer, but I could be persuaded to reference the draft
copy for a while.

--
http://annevankesteren.nl/