Re: The Movie of the Book: Re: defn of Named Graph

From: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2013 22:56:37 -0400
To: Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>
CC: Jeremy J Carroll <jjc@syapse.com>, Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>, Gregg Reynolds <dev@mobileink.com>, www-archive <www-archive@w3.org>
On 09/24/2013 05:32 PM, Dan Brickley wrote:
> On 24 September 2013 19:15, Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org> wrote:
>
>> So let's go back to that.    Give me an example that shows three things: the
>> triples happen to be the same, the metadata must remain distinct, and there
>> is no change over time.    As I think about it now, I'm beginning to think
>> it's impossible.
> How about any difference of opinion on factual matters, e.g. birther
> conspiracy theorists might believe: obama placeOfBirth kenya. Others
> might not and each could cite URLs in support of their viewpoint?

I don't see how this would meet my criteria and motivate distinct
"graphs" without involving change-over-time.

I'd address the use case like this:

  GRAPH :g1 { :Obama :placeOfBirth :Kenya }
  GRAPH :g2 { :Obama :placeOfBirth :Hawaii }
  :Trump :believes :g1.
  :Biden :believes :g2.

and I guess we can meet my first criterion by adding....

  GRAPH :g3 { :Obama :placeOfBirth :Hawaii }
  :Romney :believes :g2.

So we have three "graphs", two with the same triples.  (Criterion 1
met.)  We have no change over time (alas! :-).    (Criterion 3 met.)

But are there any properties you could sensibly put on :g2 that wouldn't
also apply to :g3?   I can't think of any.

        -- Sandro