Re: [css3-gcpm] Complex Footnotes

Attached is an example (from the Diary of Samuel Pepys) of mixing block and
inline footnotes.  The footnotes in this book are quite interesting.  There
are two series of footnotes.

- The first series are notes about transcribing the manuscript. These are
numbered per page a, b, c; on most pages they are set inline and centered,
but on a few pages with longer notes they are set as blocks.

- The second series are general notes, and appear below the first series.
These are numbered per page 1, 2, 3; on most pages they are set as blocks
in two (balanced) columns (the body is single column). But if there's only
a single note in this series on the page and it fits on a single line, then
it is set centered in a single column.  (If you have a layout with a single
column body and multi-column footnotes, but a page has only one footnote
and that footnote fits on a single line, I suspect you are always going to
want to set that footnote as a single column.)

There is a centered rule separating the two series, which occurs on a page
only if that page has footnotes from both series.

Vertical space is added on either side of the separator, and between the
text and the footnotes to ensure that the bottom of the page is justified.

A few other random points about footnotes:

- There are table footnotes to consider.  These are not quite the same as
notes at the end of the table: in the case when a table spans multiple
pages, the table footnotes have to appear at the foot of the page on which
they are referenced.

- When footnotes are numbered by page, you still might want to refer to the
footnote by number (e.g. you might have a footnote that just says "See note
3 on page 21.") .  If the footnotes are marked up out-of-line, then I guess
target-counter() could handle this.

James