Re: Draft: Plan and next steps for AppCache.NG

On 11/6/12 10:18 AM, ext Tobie Langel wrote:
> On 11/6/12 2:47 PM, "Arthur Barstow" <art.barstow@nokia.com> wrote:
>
>> * Will WebApps need a charter update to formally add AppCache? Yes (see
>> #WebApps-charter).
> Do you make a distinction between a re-charter and a charter update?

For the purposes of AC reviews, I consider them the same.

> It
> seems the current charter is designed to make taking work from the HTML WG
> a simple(r) process[1].

As Robin noted/quoted in the HTMLWG's minutes, the Charter sets an
expectation that AC review is required although it is good that
re-registering WG participants is not required:

[[
Specifically, because of the close relationship of the WebApps WG and
the HTML WG in terms of participants, market, and community, the WebApps
WG may opt to take on a limited number of specifications which were
initially part of the HTML5 specification that have been split off for
more general use with other languages. Consistent with W3C process,
anAdvisory Committee Review
<http://www.w3.org/2005/10/Process-20051014/process.html#ReviewAppeal>will
evaluate whether the additional deliverable should be added to the
WebApps WG charter. The expectation is that if the review is successful,
Working Group participants will not be required to re-join the Working
Group. For any work transferred to the WebApps WG, the first draft
published in the WebApps WG is considered the first public Working Draft
for application of thePatent Policy exclusion rules
<http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Patent-Policy-20040205/#sec-Obligations>.
]]

BTW, another option re the scope/charter questions is that the HTMLWG is
simply using public-webapps list for all AppCache discussions and that
HTMLWG retains (exclusive) decision making rights e.g. publication
decisions. I can see some +/- on this approach, including it could
conceivably eliminate the need for WebApps to recharter ;-).

-AB