Re: URLs

On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 2:30 AM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl> wrote:
> I've been looking at URLs for a few days now to see how to fix
> http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/url/raw-file/tip/Overview.html to make it a
> somewhat more viable replacement for the various RFCs. I'd love to
> have some feedback on the following:
>
> * Canonicalizing and parsing looks like it should be merged.

I think that's mostly a matter of style.  The spec is going to need to
say how to divide the input into segments and then how to transform
each segment.  You can either write the transformations in the middle
of the segmentation or in a separate section.

> * Parsing does not actually seem to parse the various components. This
> seems problematic as e.g. http://test::test/ will yield a valid URL
> while no browser treats it as such. Not that browsers are perfect,
> e.g. Safari splits http://[::::::::]/ up into components (treating it
> as a valid URL).

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking here.  It's entirely
possible that what's in the spec currently is sub-optimal.  I don't
happen to remember this case specifically.

On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 5:06 AM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl> wrote:
> I put a sketch for how I see the URL parser online:
>
> http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/URL#Parsing

That approach generally looks fine, but I haven't reviewed it in detail.

Adam