Re: Methods of working: WebRTC WG and the PeerConnection spec

On Fri, 13 May 2011, Harald Alvestrand wrote:

> > I'm happy to prepare a non-normative extract much like is done with
> > the WebVTT stuff:
> >
> >   http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/webvtt.html
> >
> > ...if that would help people review the relevant parts of the spec.
> >
> > If the W3C is interested in publishing such snapshots under the W3C
> > patent policy, I'm sure everyone would agree that that would be a good
> > thing.
>
> I'm a bit worried about that - since, in my role as W3C WG chair, I'll
> have to consider the standalone document normative I see less chance of
> troubles if it was considered a standalone document by all, the way the
> Websockets API is handled (if I understand that correctly).

The WebSockets API is done more or less the same way: there's an extracted
section, which is taken from the Web Applications 1.0 document:

   http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/complete/network.html#network

The Web Sockets API spec doesn't integrate with the rest of the platform
quite as much as the PeerConnection stuff, though, so the extraction is
less awkward (in fact for WebSockets the real problem is the separation of
the API from the protocol, not of the API from the rest of the API spec).