RE: Methods of working: WebRTC WG and the PeerConnection spec

On Fri, 13 May 2011, Stefan Håkansson LK wrote:

> Of course we will need to discuss between Harald, Francois and myself
> (as well as getting the new WG to agree), but spontaneously this feels
> like a very good way forward.

Great!

I've set up an extract draft to allow for review here:

   http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/webrtc.html

I presume you don't want to jump straight to publishing a REC for the
patent policy, but whenever you would like to do that let me know and I'll
work with Mike to get something ready.

> A question: filing bugs feels like something you do when the problem
> (and possibly the solution) is quite clear. But would not a bug filing
> in many cases be preceeded by a discussion, especially for stuff like
> WebRTC where new concepts (like peer-to-peer communication) and
> solutions are introduced? I think there will be a need for a lot of
> discussions (presumably via mail) as we move forward.

Absolutely. As far as editing the WHATWG standard goes, I'm happy to take
input from anywhere, including naturally any W3C lists where discussion
might take place, but also including many of the places Web developers
tend to congregate, for example reddit, or HN, or their blogs, etc. What I
do for the rest of HTML is that I have a Google Alert for some key terms
and I follow up on any constructive feedback I find; I expect I'll do the
same for this part of the spec.

I promise to reply to any e-mails sent to the WHATWG list; for logistical
reasons I obviously con't promise that for every other list as well, but I
would be happy to do my best on any other specific lists you may have in
mind as well. (It mainly depends on what kind of traffic the list gets --
for example, some of the HTML working group lists have a rather low
signal:noise ratio so I've had to be much more selective there.)