Re: Normative status of author-only view of the HTML5 specification

On Jun 8, 2011, at 6:24 AM, Henri Sivonen wrote:

> On Tue, 2011-06-07 at 16:56 -0700, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>> Here are our public records of all Formal Objections that have been made and not withdrawn: <http://dev.w3.org/html5/status/formal-objection-status.html>. If there is anything missing from that page, please let us know; it's not clear to me from your message below if you believe you have a Formal Objection that still stands and needs Director review.
>
> Are Formal Objections that have been addressed but not withdrawn tracked
> anywhere? I have raised one Formal Objection[1] but the conditions that
> would "remove" my objection have since been met. However, I don't recall
> explicitly retracting the FO. (I might have and my recollection might be
> bad.) If the conditions that I objected to were reinstated, would my
> previous FO stand automatically? Or does everyone whose FO has once been
> addressed have to track things to make sure there are no regressions?
>
> [1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2009Jan/0423.html

It's certainly possible we've made errors in record-keeping, and it would be good to bring those to the Chairs' attention. I think our intent is as follows:

- We will track every Formal Objection unless explicitly withdrawn.
- If someone says "I will remove my objection if X happens", for clarity it would be best to have a statement from the person that their objection is satisfied.
- If someone makes an objection and it seems that their conditions have been satisfied, the Chairs would likely ask them to explicitly state whether the objection is removed or not.
- If the grounds for the Formal Objection recur, we would expect the person to explicitly reinstate the objection.

I think this is in line with what W3C Process requires.

Regards,
Maciej