Re: HTML WG timeframe for responses

On 01/25/2011 04:26 AM, Steve Faulkner wrote:
> hi all,
>
> what sort of timeframe is reasonable to get a response back from hixie
> on the hgroup issue? As you may be aware I emailed him on the 23rd jan [1]
>
> I myself would think that if there is no response within a week or so
> then it will be OK to make a request for a poll of the html wg to guage
> support for the various options in regards to hgroup.
> Or perhaps i should ping him in a week, if no reply, then request a poll?
>
> what is your advice?

It is unclear to me why you are gating this on Ian in any way.  The bugs
that were cited[2] were created well past the Oct 1 cut-off[3].  Heck,
none of them have aged past the 30 day window that we normally ask that
editors respond (and at the present time, there are 84[4] that exceed
this window across all of the specs that we track).  Furthermore, any
change that Ian makes at this point that meets with significant pushback
will be reverted[5].

Entrance to last call is not the last opportunity for people to raise
bugs or to take issue with the proposed resolution.  Far from it: we are
prepared to have plenty of both.

That being said: if you feel that a poll would help, all I ask is that
you simply draft the poll and if there is wide support for the poll (and
every indication I can see at this point is that this will not be a
problem), it will be published.  I'll go further and suggest that the
poll itself be drafted on the wiki.  You might even find that the
exercise of drafting the poll itself resolves some of the issues.

- Sam Ruby

[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011Jan/0256.html
[3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2010Sep/0074.html
[4] http://tinyurl.com/4oyybng