RE: [widgets] Re: i18n comments:

Dear Art, et al,

Sorry for the delay in responding. I have reviewed the 27 May 2010 draft posted by your editor in addition to the previous draft. I have only a few minor, editorial comments:

1. Language tags are presented as lowercase. While case has no meaning in language tags, they are typically canonicalized (and are recommended to use) the case conventions in BCP 47. See section 2.1.1 [1].

2. In Section 8.4 there is an example of the empty language tag with the comment "The user agents will treat this as unlocalized content." This should be "user agent" singular. More importantly, there should be a distinction between "unlocalized" and "non-linguistic" or "undetermined" or at least "default content" (which is what you mean). Note that the tag "und" represents text whose language cannot be determined. I would suggest "default content" here (and elsewhere).

3. In Section 9.1 there is a term "i18n string". We typically do not like the term "i18n" to be used for anything (my car's license/number plate and my .sig are exceptions to this rule ;-)), and, in this case, it doesn't convey any meaning. I would prefer the term "localizable string", "localizable", or "language string".

4. I personally disagree with Richard's comment #20 [2]. The empty language tag is related to locale fallback in that it represents the root of the locale hierarchy, a position you could fill with "i-default", save that that value doesn't play nicely with BCP 47 fallback. The xml:lang="" is the default content. I don't agree that this is "unlocalized", which is your description. See my comment #2 above.

In general, this document is greatly improved and I endorse your publication of it. Thanks for all of your help in supporting internationalization in this spec.

Regards,

Addison

[1] http://tools.ietf.org/html/bcp47#section-2.1.1

Addison Phillips