Re: <iframe doc="">

On Jan 24, 2010, at 10:40 AM, Shelley Powers wrote:

> More importantly, when Ian first brought up the doc attribute, and
> mentioned how he had discussed this with you, and evidently only you,
> Maciej, you undermined the authority of your co-chairs by encouraging
> this behavior, and now continue to undermine their authority by
> seeming to defend Ian's actions.

The two specific things I told Ian when he asked me about the doc attribute were:

1) It's not categorically out of bounds to consider adding it, even though in general we shouldn't be adding new features right now, because it's materially related to sandboxed iframes, an existing feature. But I can't promise people will go for it.

2) However, rather than just adding it, he should start a discussion about it on public-html and get the group's input, since adding a significant new feature without sufficient notice or discussion is not a good way to operate.

My fellow co-Chairs should let me know they feel either of those statements undermined their authority.

> There is also a very strong appearance of conflict of interest in this
> action. Apple's Safari is based on Webkit, as is Google's Chrome. When
> Ian acts without consensus of the group, and you use your co-chair
> authority to support his action, and undermine the concerns for the
> rest of us, can you not see how this could potentially end up being a
> much bigger problem than just this one change?

I don't believe I said anything one way or the other about whether Ian's actions in making the edit were right or wrong. I just asked people (you and Tab both, and anyone else reading) to keep on-list discussion focused on technical issues.

Regards,
Maciej