Re: HTML+RDFa Heartbeat Draft publishing request

From: Edward O'Connor <hober0@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 14:49:25 -0800
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>, Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>, www-archive <www-archive@w3.org>
>> Neither RDFa, nor Microdata are extension mechanisms that allow adding
>> "independently developed vocabularies" to HTML.
>
> Could you describe the criteria by which one can recognise a mechanism for
> allowing the addition of independently developed vocabularies? I'm baffled
> as to what the point of RDFa and Microdata would be if not exactly that.

I agree, RDFa and Microdata are clearly extension mechanisms. That said,
I believe Julian and Larry disagree because they appear to believe an
extension mechanism must allow for the addition of novel elements and
attributes, e.g. <foo bar="">baz</foo>. Julian, Larry, please correct me
if I've misunderstood you.

I think this is why any discussion of distributed extensibility ends up
with people talking past each other: some people believe such
extensibility requires the ability to make custom things go right after
the < sign, and some people don't. (FWIW, I don't.)

--
Edward O'Connor