Re: minutes: HTML WG Weekly 21 May 2009 [draft]

On May 25, 2009, at 23:36, Laura Carlson wrote:

> People haven’t said "cowpaths" that
> much out loud in that debate but they have said repeatedly that pretty
> much all screen readers support @summary [1], including older versions
> which they said means there is already an audience of assistive
> technology users out there who can use it, today.

My understanding of the Cowpath principle is that if authors do
something over and over, we should add explicit support for doing what
they are doing. Thus, user agent features aren't cowpaths.

However, if the WG came to the conclusion that it's good to have table
summaries that don't participate in visual CSS layout, the Don't
Reinvent the Wheel principle would apply when choosing a syntax that
is already supported by user agents.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi