RE: [whatwg] notes on current HTML5 draft

On Mon, 4 May 2009, Larry Masinter wrote:

> The HTML working group should manage priorities of the HTML document
> without requiring registration on the proprietary "WhatWG.org" site. W3C
> has extensive tools for managing priorities and issues, designed to
> insure an open process. This isn't.

The issues list on the WHATWG site is not the W3C's issues list, it's the
WHATWG's. The W3C HTML WG has two issue tracking systems:

   http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/query.cgi
   http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/

According to the advice I have gotten from the chairs, my duties as an
editor of a specification publication by the HTML WG extend as far as
responding to issues listed on the Bugzilla database, specifically, those
listed in response to this query:

   http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&short_desc_type=allwordssubstr&short_desc=&product=HTML+WG&component=Spec+bugs&component=Spec+proposals&long_desc_type=allwordssubstr&long_desc=&bug_file_loc_type=allwordssubstr&bug_file_loc=&status_whiteboard_type=allwordssubstr&status_whiteboard=&keywords_type=allwords&keywords=&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&emailassigned_to1=1&emailtype1=notregexp&email1=%5Emike%40w3%5C.org%24&emailtype2=substring&email2=&bugidtype=include&bug_id=&votes=&chfieldfrom=&chfieldto=Now&chfieldvalue=&cmdtype=doit&order=Reuse+same+sort+as+last+time&field0-0-0=noop&type0-0-0=noop&value0-0-0=

While I do respond to other feedback as well, I do so as part of my role
as editor for the WHATWG, and that is why those issues are tracked on the
WHATWG issues list.

If HTMLWG members would like me to address an issue, then the formal way
to do so is to add it to the list above. Generally speaking it is my
understanding that issues from non-working-group members, such as the
issues that started this discussion, are to be taken by the working group
and will be added to the list above if the chairs decide that the working
group believes that the issue should be addressed.