Re: Errata for PNG spec (tRNS chunk)

Chris, Glenn,

I've had an email exchange with Jean Stride at BSI. Jean also runs some
of the key ISO Committees.

It turns out that the ISO Committees are meeting in London in 10 days
time. ISO has a process for Technical Corrigenda, which involve ballots.
Jean is looking into whether this item could be considered at the London
meetings. If it could it is likely to save considerable effort. But we
will have to move very quickly if they agree to consider it.

Jean has contacted the chair of the meeting, Dick Puk, to see if he can
help. You may recall that Dick participated in some of our meetings.

If I get a positive response, has enough process been completed on the
W3C side for me to effectively say to Dick that W3C has approved this
erratum through its processes and hence we now invite ISO/IEC to do
likewise?

I've looked back through some old files. This error must have creapt in
very early on. Certainly the PNG 1.1 and 1.2 drafts I have use the RGB
order. The error is in the first Committee Draft sent to ISO/IEC and the
corresponding BSI Draft for Public Comment dated 98-12-01. But I have at
least one document which doesn't contain the error - that's an internal
document where we'd started the conversion to ISO/IEC format.

Best regards

David

--
Professor David Duce