Re: Design Principles, Section 1.6.1 relationship to HTML 4.01

Rob Sayre wrote:
> On 6/1/09 1:23 PM, Sam Ruby wrote:
>> Rob Sayre wrote:
>>>
>>> There seem to be group members laboring under the assumption that the
>>> Design Principles document does not apply to their suggestions or
>>> objections.
>>
>> It is a common debating technique to make grandiose claims without
>> specifics.
>
> That claim is neither grandiose or vague. I could cite instances of this
> behavior, but singling out individuals seems unproductive.
>
>> Now: what was your point?
>
> That arguing against the document is fruitless procedural stalling.
> There are plenty of other working groups where one can work on standards
> that will never appear in a browser.
>
> When the document comes up in argument, there is a possibility that the
> person citing the document as support is "wrapping themselves in the
> flag", but that is relatively easy to spot. If the document has been
> cited correctly, then the group really breaks down: I have seen claims
> that we should restart it from scratch, and claims that it's all a bunch
> of wishy-washy rubbish, but mostly I see claims that the document
> doesn't apply to everyone in the group.

The requirement to provide citations is intended to ensure that the
original input is not mischaracterized.  I believe that the above
contains a number of such mischaracterizations, but I can't say for
sure, as you continue to decline to provide citations.

> Publishing the document is a useful way to record consensus (...which is
> not unanimity).

I believe what we are waiting on is a draft that the author of said
draft feels is ready.

> - Rob

- Sam Ruby