Re: Formal Objection to One vendor, One Veto

Shelley Powers wrote:
> I believe the process to register a formal objection is to send an email
> to this group, and label it as such. If there's another group I should
> contact, please let me know.

I'll check into the process (and am copying Mike and Dan as they are the
W3C team contacts for this working group, but meanwhile three things:

1) This Mailing list is described as a "Miscellaneous.  Mail-to-web
gateway" on http://lists.w3.org/.  My understanding is that its primary
purpose is to allow a public URI to be associated with an email that is
sent.  As a general rule, it is a great resource for taking discussions
"off-line" which may later need to be referred to.  In any case, I have
seen this email, and will take it seriously.

2) The document in question is merely a Working Draft at this point
which means that it may be unstable and may not meet all of the Working
Group's needs at this point.  As such, a formal objection seems a bit
premature, but only by a little bit as it makes perfect sense to me for
Formal Objections to block advancement to Last Call.

3) I need to think more about what it means to have a formal objection
to process as opposed to a result.  Formal objections to results, like a
document which contain features like video which do not lead to
interoperability due to a lack of specifying a common royalty-free
codec: that is something I can get my head around.  A formal objection
to removing Canvas (I chose Canvas as that is an item that the working
group previously voted on and decided to include) in the unlikely event
that Microsoft makes a statement that they will never support such a
feature -- that too, I can understand.  But a Formal Objection to
something that not only hasn't happened, but may never happen -- that is
something I need to ponder on further and consult with others.

- Sam Ruby