Re: Moving past last call for HTML5

On Thu, 19 Feb 2009, Sam Ruby wrote:

> For starters, there is an interesting gap between 100% and 50.000001%.

I wasn't specifically meaning 50%; there are as you say a number of ways
of achieving "consensus" without achieving "unanimous consensus", ranging
from everyone-except-people-who-disagree-with-everything-on-principle down
all the ways past 50% to a mere plurality. If our goal is to aim for one
of these levels, it would be helpful to know which level we are aiming for
since it would affect the way one would approach the goal of publishing a
last call draft.

> To the extent that the document you are editing accepts input from
> places other than the public-html mailing list, the concern about the
> "inordinate amount of bureaucracy" doesn't fully apply.

Not to the content of the spec, but it might to the decision of whether we
have consensus within the group (since that might not represent consensus
amongst the wider Web community).

> > What bar will you be looking for when I say "ok there is no
> > outstanding feedback, let's publish a Last Call draft"?
>
> I don't have the full answer for that question, but let me start with
> this: no, I do not believe that votes are something we should employ
> except as a last resort.

Ok. I think it would be helpful to have a firm idea of how we want to
approach this problem sooner rather than later, if we are to not slip past
October.

> For the near term the low hanging fruit is as follows: [...] for you to
> consider Rob's approach to @summary, @profile, and @alt.

Could you elaborate on this? I'm not sure what approach you mean.