Re: usage of 'resource' vs 'representation' in HTML 5, CSS, HTML 4, SVG, ...

On Thu, 10 Dec 2009, Dan Connolly wrote:

> But I get the impression that the HTML 5 spec discusses caching,
> expiry/time-to-live, refreshing pages, messages to worker threads, and
> that sort of thing, yes? In that case, I don't think you can use this
> time-flattened worldview.

I don't see why not... even with caching, it's still the bits that have
times-to-live and are cached, etc; similarly with refreshing, and
messages across Windows, etc -- it's always in terms of concrete
resources, not anything abstract.

> I'll have to look at the text in detail. Any help finding the relevant
> bits is more than welcome.

I would if I could, but I don't really know what would be relevant. As far
as I can tell, there's never a need to talk abstractly here. You can find
places that talk about URLs and the "fetch" algorithm by clicking the bold
words "URL" and "fetch" where they are defined:

   http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/complete.html#url
   http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/complete.html#fetch

...and you can find occurances of the word "resource" by searching for
"resource" (this happens all over the place).

(Warning: the page above is big. Unfortunately the <dfn> cross-
referencing doesn't work in the multipage specs.)

HTH,