Re: did cern try to sell the web?

No, they did not try to sell it it as far as I am aware.  There was a
certain amount of agonizing that CERN didn't really have a story about
what to do about spinning out technology.   There were some arguing
that the IPR should be kept by CERN, but no real plans as to what to
do with it.    Hey, if they had been MIT they might have encouraged me
to spin it out as a startup, with the help of some experienced people
who had done it before, and well, maybe the world would have just
waited 17 years as it did for RSA.  I am sure in fact a bunch of
competing systems would have ended up without a single interoperable
space.

Tim