the W3C does not "get it" (Fwd: [diso-project] Re: W3C Workshop on the Future of Social Networking)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: B.K. DeLong <bkdelong1@gmail.com>
Date: 2008/10/17
Subject: [diso-project] Re: W3C Workshop on the Future of Social Networking
To: diso-project@googlegroups.com

I've tried to do a similar survey on how various social networks allow
the user to control privacy via some sort of groupings. Ideally they'd
have a core ontology similar to that of the FOAF Relationshp
vocabulary[1] and then allow people to create custom ones.

I think Facebook is by far the most robust in how it lets you create
quite a few Friends Groups and then in how many different ways it lets
you specify privacy options for parts of your personal profile,
pictures/videos of you (tagged by others), your status, and each
individual application. It allows for both whitelisting AND
blacklisting for some features (though I'd like to see this done
wholesale) depending on ones needs.

Alas, my experience is that the W3C does not "get it" when it comes to
the present state of the Web and yet they are trying to assert
themselves to maintain some sort of foothold. While they have served
over the years as an incubator for core Web standards that were
critical to get where we are now, their processes simply moved too
slowly and those that once worked within the auspices of the
Consortium have innovated far outside its ability to catch-up.

[1] http://vocab.org/relationship/

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 2:44 PM, Chris Messina <chris.messina@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ian -- Congrats on the new gig! That's exciting news!
>
> That research sounds both interesting and presently useful, and would
> be even more compelling if you were to develop a framework for
> understanding how new verbs emerge [organically over time] and how we
> can gradually commoditize by baking into social platforms increasing
> numbers of user tasks or common functionality.
>
> To put this another way, I just went to a semantic web conference
> (literally called Web 3.0) and though I could stay long, it sounded
> like the greatest challenge is developing shared, non-proprietary
> ontologies. I see a similar challenge for us, for without coming up
> with a common set of verbs/actions which are understood to mean some
> specific, and without providing a scientificly-driven way to extend
> that list, our efforts towards interop will fail.
>
> Ian, would you be able to start a list on
> wiki.diso-project.org/activity-stream-verbs?
>
> Chris
> On 10/16/08, iankennedy <ikennedy@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I've been on this list for a while now but have not had a lot of time
>> to contribute - hopefully that will now change.  I left Yahoo last
>> week and am starting at Nokia on Monday to work on making their
>> devices "socially aware" so Chris, thank you for pointing out what
>> looks to be a highly relevant workshop. Ben, I look forward to reading
>> what you hear back from the event organizers.
>>
>> I've thrown my name in there to present a survey of verbs and nouns
>> used across social networks (ie. do you "friend" someone or "follow"
>> them?). Given the international nature of the audience as well as the
>> mix of mobile and web folks, it should be a unique opportunity to get
>> some feedback on what works and what doesn't. We could also use this
>> paper to present the action verbs in a lifestream that have been
>> worked on (do you "post a photo" or "share a photo").
>>
>> Let me know if you all think such a survey would be useful.
>>
>> Ian Kennedy
>> http://everwas.com
>>
>> On Oct 15, 10:14 pm, "Chris Messina" <chris.mess...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I think it would make the most sense if those of us interested in writing
>>> picked a topic area in which we're familiar and interested in and proposed
>>> it on the wiki (which is in the process of moving). I've begun a page
>>> here:http://wiki.diso-project.org/position-papers
>>>
>>> Please either request access or add your area of topical interest and
>>> we'll
>>> get going.
>>>
>>> Papers are due Nov 20, so we should get crackin'!
>>>
>>> Chris

>>> --
>>> Chris Messina
>>> Citizen-Participant &
>>>  Open Technology Advocate-at-Large
>>> factoryjoe.com # diso-project.org
>>> citizenagency.com # vidoop.com
>>> This email is:   [ ] bloggable    [X] ask first   [ ] private
>> >

> --
> Chris Messina
> [...]

B.K. DeLong (K3GRN)
bkdelong@pobox.com
+1.617.797.8471

http://www.wkdelong.org                    Son.
http://www.ianetsec.com                    Work.
http://www.bostonredcross.org             Volunteer.
http://www.carolingia.eastkingdom.org   Service.
http://bkdelong.livejournal.com             Play.

PGP Fingerprint:
38D4 D4D4 5819 8667 DFD5  A62D AF61 15FF 297D 67FE

FOAF:
http://foaf.brain-stream.org