RE: IE8 incompatibility issues (was: Re: Issue: IE 8 adds new DOM Properties for ARIA -- not compatible with other impls)

Anne van Kesteren [mailto:annevk@opera.com] wrote:
>> That sounds like "we should never introduce DOM attributes again, and
>> everyone should just always use getAttribute()?"
>
>No, we should only have DOM attributes when they're part of the
>specification. HTML5 introduces a bunch of them, for instance. But with
>ARIA it was part of the design to not have them.

I understand they're not in the ARIA spec, and as I said, it was obviously a mistake that we implemented them.  What you said implies that it was a conscious design decision not to have them - was it really?  Do you not think the HTML5 DOM should expose these attributes directly, as it does so many other attributes?

>>> We're not happy with documentMode, but making X-UA-Compatible work just
>>> for standards mode would be an improvement. Just like doing IE8 mode by
>>> default is an improvement.
>>
>> That sounds like a no.
>
>It was a yes actually :-) As in, having X-UA-Compatible only work in
>standards mode is an improvement over what the solution for
>X-UA-Compatible is now.

...but not enough to make you happy with the end solution, given that we need to continue having X-UA-Compatible in some form in order to give web developers a quick fix to keep their sites up.

-Chris