Re: IE8 incompatibility issues (was: Re: Issue: IE 8 adds new DOM Properties for ARIA -- not compatible with other impls)

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 23:18:41 +0100, Chris Wilson
<Chris.Wilson@microsoft.com> wrote:
> That sounds like "we should never introduce DOM attributes again, and
> everyone should just always use getAttribute()?"

No, we should only have DOM attributes when they're part of the
specification. HTML5 introduces a bunch of them, for instance. But with
ARIA it was part of the design to not have them.

>>> Yeah, I see that, and I've been thinking about that very issue.  Not
>>> clear to me if Opera is happy if we simply make it so a standards-mode
>>> DOCTYPE is necessary, as some of the invective is still demanding
>>> removal of IE7 compatibility altogether.
>>
>> We're not happy with documentMode, but making X-UA-Compatible work just
>> for standards mode would be an improvement. Just like doing IE8 mode by
>> default is an improvement.
>
> That sounds like a no.

It was a yes actually :-) As in, having X-UA-Compatible only work in
standards mode is an improvement over what the solution for
X-UA-Compatible is now.

Cheers,

--
Anne van Kesteren