RE: [whatwg] Creative Commons Rights Expression Language

From: Bonner, Matt <matt.bonner@hp.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 00:23:18 +0000
To: Ben Adida <ben@adida.net>, Kristof Zelechovski <giecrilj@stegny.2a.pl>
CC: 'Julian Reschke' <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, 'Ian Hickson' <ian@hixie.ch>, 'Dan Brickley' <danbri@danbri.org>, 'Tab Atkins Jr.' <jackalmage@gmail.com>, 'Henri Sivonen' <hsivonen@iki.fi>, "www-archive@w3.org" <www-archive@w3.org>
Ben Adida wrote:
> Kristof Zelechovski wrote:
>> It seems your main problem is that you cannot put the licenses into
>> proprietary formats and you want to put the burden on HTML, seeking
>> to put the data as close to the reference to the describing document
>> as possible and hoping that that will make the license "relevant".
>> I do not like this catch-and-patch attitude at all.
>
> Not at all what we're doing. A lot of the data will be in HTML to
> begin with.

Such as?

> And since HTML is the main carrier of all information, it
> also makes perfect sense to add descriptive data for images, PDFs,
> etc.. in the HTML.

Again, I'm confused. The ccREL Submission proposes XMP for PDF and
other media types (section 6). Here, you propose that ccREL data for
web-hosted media will reside in the HTML pages linking to them. Which
is it?

> Because if you expect to put it in the actual
> media files... well then that's certainly an instance of "the tools
> will save us" because there's no way the average user will know how
> to do that *at all*.

Why would the average user understand better how to put ccREL data in
HTML pages than elsewhere?  If you assume a friendly software interface
for specifying these data, couldn't a similar interface work for any
file type?

Matt
--
Matt Bonner