Re: Investigating the proposed alt attribute recommendations in HTML 5

Karl Dubost wrote:

> Philip Taylor (Webmaster) (17 sept. 2007 - 10:05) :
>> Karl Dubost wrote:
>>> [snip]. HTML is th[e] sum of the needs of implementers.
>>
>> Do you really believe that ?  I find it a terribly depressing
>> possibility, too awful to want to contemplate ...
>
> yes. And it is not depressing.
> A specification is not a white paper on a technology. It is not either
> research.
>
> Different parties at stake with market needs will negotiate to establish
> something that is/will be implemented. It is exactly the same for your
> electrical plug specification, the doors of your building, the ethernet
> cable specs, etc, etc, etc.

Right, so where are the "different parties" in your phrase
"the needs of implementers" ?  The only parties I can find
there are implementors -- what about the needs of

	o consumers
	o designers
	o those with special accessibility needs

and the vision/advice/expertise of

	o computer scientists
	o human factors engineers
	o psychologists
	o linguists

and so on.  If "HTML is th[e] sum of the needs of implementers",
then the W3C may as well pack up its bags and close down its
operation, and hand over all control of the future of HTML
to the WHAT WG.

Philip TAYLOR