Re: Meeting with SVG, XHTML, WAI people to move forward on ARIA as a cross cutting technology

On Fri, 2007-10-19 at 13:41 +0300, Henri Sivonen wrote:
> On Oct 19, 2007, at 12:46, T.V Raman wrote:
>
> > I dont believe we need go down the ugliness of inventing a second
> > namespacing mechanism because some dont like the current one;
>
> I agree we shouldn't invent a second namespacing mechanism. I think
> we should do ARIA without a technical namespacing mechanism at all
> and only use a naming convention for spec organization without the
> parsing and DOM layers knowing anything about it.
>
> It's not about not liking the current XML namespacing mechanism. It's
> about the current XML one being unsupported in already shipped text/
> html implementations. It follows that introducing it now to text/html
> would create a scripting discrepancy between legacy and new browsers.
> We don't want that, so we are stuck with no Namespaces in XML-style
> namespaces in HTML.

Perhaps you don't want that... I don't think I want that either...
but when you say "we don't want that", would you please clarify
which "we"? Perhaps cite a source?

I have seen substantial lack of consensus about
what we want with respect to compatibility and versioning.
Re: HTML version issue summary?
From: David Hyatt <hyatt@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 17:16:58 -0700
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2007Apr/1408.html

The discussion of it in the context of design principles
doesn't seem to have converged, but perhaps I'm mis-reading
what you're saying? Perhaps you're appealing to something
covered in the compatibility section?

http://dev.w3.org/html5/html-design-principles/Overview.html#compatibility

gpg D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E