Re: Decision process in the HTML working group

On May 7, 2007, at 7:58 AM, Dan Connolly wrote:

> Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> [...]
>> Well, there's people in between where it's hard for me to tell if
>> they would have registered an FO as a follow-on to a "no" vote.
>
> This business where the FO is a follow-on to a decision seems
> broken, to me. The point at which to object, formally, is when
> the question is put, not after the decision is made.

I've asked around, and that doesn't seem to be the way other W3C
Working Groups do it. I've heard from representatives from the Web
API, WAF, SVG, CSS, CDF, Web Security Context, Mobile Web Best
Practices and Device Description WGs, in all cases they decide by
simple majority after sufficient discussion, and Formal Objections
have to be registered separately. I encourage you to ask other chairs
about this.

The Process document also says: "In the W3C process, an individual
may register a Formal Objection to a decision."  This seems pretty
clear that the Formal Objection is to a decision actually made, not
just a proposed resolution. I feel a little guilty citing the Process
document, but I really do think a voting process where every
disagreement with the majority must be reviewed by the Director
creates practical problems as cited in my original email.

Regards,
Maciej