From: Ian Hickson [mailto:ian@hixie.ch]
Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2007 12:45 AM
To: Kristof Zelechovski
Cc: www-archive@w3.org
Subject: RE: [whatwg] void elements vs. content model = "empty"

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007, Kristof Zelechovski wrote:

> A void element cannot have any content because there is no way to specify
it
> in the source.  Such a relation is called entailment.

No, the syntax doesn't impose requirements on the content model. For
example, the syntax doesn't let you put <ul>s inside <p>s, but the content
model allows it. It would be quite possible for us to allow content inside
void elements, it would just mean you couldn't represent that content
model in text/html (you'd have to use XML or some other serialisation of
the DOM, like JSON).