personal wikipedia cache

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2006 18:16:21 -0500
To: www-archive+breadcrumbs@w3.org

I'd like to dedicate 2 or 3 percent of my laptop's storage to keeping a
cache of parts of wikipedia... say... all the featured articles, plus
all the articles within 2 hops of my user page and within 2 hops of the
page about me, plus every wikipedia page that I have accessed in the
last 2 or 3 months.

The trick is that I don't usually use my laptop; I use a desktop
machine. So running a cron job on the laptop won't work. Maybe I could
remember to "wake up" the laptop 3 days before I travel to give it a
chance to sync.

Or maybe I could keep the wikipedia cache on a flash drive and move it
between desktop and laptop machines.

I guess I'd like to cache more than wikipedia... w3.org, stuff from my
delicious bookmarks, family photos, etc. hmm.

The local library should run a wikipedia cache too.... though... I
wonder how nearby in the network they are. If they don't use the same
ISP, I can imagine the packets getting routed via the east or west
coast. Their geographic proximity suggests they should share some sense
of what pages are important to cache.