playing par 2 with SPARQL and MASE, the search engine for lists.w3.org

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 15:20:31 -0500
To: www-archive+breadcrumbs@w3.org

Our MASE engine supports fielded search. I'm not sure whether it's done
with SQL or not, but it probably can't do all of SPARQL
straightforwardly, if only for denial-of-service reasons... but a smart
SPARQL client should be able to negotiate with it... given a complex
sparql query, send a simpler sparql query that MASE can handle, which
would return a superset of the intended matches. Then the smart SPARQL
client/proxy could re-run the original sparql query on the intermediate
results to get the desired results.

The connection between ?subject=sparql style URI queries and SPARQL is
a postponed DAWG issue. RDF forms and all that. The exact design hasn't
come to me yet, but my intuition says that there's a useful mapping.