Re: [rest-discuss] RDFForms: comment on rf:form

off-list.  not really appropriate for rest-discuss.

On 3/1/06, Jan Algermissen <jalgermissen@topicmapping.com> wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> this is a comment onthe section
>
> "Form" and "method" of http://www.markbaker.ca/2003/05/RDF-Forms/
>
> You present the RDF below as an alternative to the rf:Container
> example appearing earlier in the text.
>
> <rf:Form rf:method="POST"
>           xmlns:rf="http://www.markbaker.ca/2003/rdfforms/"
>           xmlns:rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#"
>           rdf:about="http://shoes.example.com/order-processor/">
>    <rf:acceptedMediaType>application/rdf+xml</rf:acceptedMediaType>
> </rf:Form>
>
> You mention the problem that rf:method suggests that the processor
> implements the POST method.
>
> I have two additional questions:
>
> The RDF also asserts that the processor is of rdf:type rf:Form, which
> also does not seem to be the intended semantic, yes?

rf:Form is the parent type of Container, Indexable, and Settable.  I
suppose I should make that explicit though.  Thanks.

> What is the intention of the rf:Form in general? What does it tell
> the client that cannot be accomplished with the existing
> (rf:Container etc.) mechanism already?

Nothing.  It's just more easily extensible because the operation is
explicit, not implicit.

> You write (regarding rf:method):
>
> "The intended interpretation is that the method be considered as a
> descriptor of this instance of the form itself - which is why the use
> of rdf:type in Container/Indexable/Settable was appropriate."
>
> I have trouble understanding what this gets at, can you explain?

It's basically saying that "Container = POST form", "Indexable = GET
form", and so the combination of rf:method (say, POST) and the
rdf:type rf:Form declaration is equivalent to an rdf:type
rf:Container.

Mark.
--
Mark Baker.  Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA.       http://www.markbaker.ca