Re: Patch for uripath.py

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 09:44:52 -0400
Cc: www-archive@w3.org
To: Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>, Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org>

On Jun 14, 2006, at 8:41 AM, Dominique Hazael-Massieux wrote:
> Hi Dan,
>
> I noticed that the refTo function in uripath.py [1] would return "/x"
> when asked the path between "http://example/" and "http://example/x",
> while "x" would be a shorter and possibly more useful answer.
>
> Although refTo doesn't say whether it return preferentially absolute or
> relative path, (and seems to be doing a bit of two), having it reply
> with "x" in this case proves useful to determine that
> http://example/#foo doesn't require a new request if you have already
> requested http://example/#foo.
>
> The patch attached makes the code behave that way, contains test case,
> and passes the existing tests. Is it OK to commit?

Please check with TimBL first. He and I have debated this issue in the
past, and I think the current code reflects his preference.

I lean toward more relative paths, but I think he has reasons for
the root-relative answer... I don't think I understand them well enough
to relay them, but I know I haven't talked him out of them...