Re: Tool request

Hi Danny,

On Mon, Nov 28, 2005, Danny Ayers wrote:
> I'd very much like to publish valid markup, but I'm as lazy as it
> gets. Here's what I'd really like, anything that gets me closer (or
> provides equivalent functionality appreciated).

+1 for laziness when cool tools sprout from it :)

> So (finally), here's what I'd like - three little icons on my blog
> front page corresponding to the results of validator checks. Like
> little LEDs, green for valid, red for invalid. Clicking on the LED
> will take me to the specific validator results. This should be too
> difficult to set up as a job triggered from the posting action, or
> even from cron.

Making such icons dynamically refreshed each time someone accesses the
page would be technically trivial, and have been discussed on the
www-validator list quite a few times, but would be too heavy on the
services. I like your idea of having the icons being generated on post
or by cron.

If you want something triggered by a cron job, the Log Validator [1] can
be used to send you a mail daily or weekly if you like - not *exactly*
what you requested but fairly close.

[1] http://www.w3.org/QA/Tools/LogValidator/

> The tricky bit I expect being interpreting the results
> from the service calls. But if the three validators offered uniform
> response messages, it'd make things a whole lot easier.

The CSS and Feed services at W3C have very similar SOAP interfaces, with
the one for the Markup Validator coming with next release. All three
(will/do) come with at least a perl library to quickly build apps.

http://validator-jp.w3.org/feed/docs/api.html
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-validator/2005Oct/0092.html
(doc for CSS validator coming soon)

Does that (even partially) answer your request?

Cheers,
olivier
--
olivier Thereaux - W3C - http://www.w3.org/People/olivier/