Re: [w3photo] getting repository live

hi Masahide, Benjamin,

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004, Benjamin Nowack wrote:

> On 27.01.2004 10:54:41, Masahide Kanzaki wrote:
> >Hi Libby, nice validator :)

:) thanks Masahide!

> >I have a question on dc:rights example in
> >>http://esw.w3.org/topic/W3PhotoVocabs
> >
> >You put an example for 'license and rights properties for the metadata'
> >something like:
> >
> > <dc:rights>
> >  <cc:Agent>
> >   <dc:title>Libby Miller</dc:title>
> >   <dc:date>1001-07-23</dc:date>
> >  </cc:Agent>
> > </dc:rights>
> >
> >Should this cc:Agent have dc:date ? What does this date mean ?
> >
> >I think you've taken this fragment from CC's "Extending Creative Commons
> >Metadata" page, and it includes dc:title actually. But the page explains
> >this dc:date that "As you can see the copyright holder is a person with a
> >URL, a name and a date (of birth)." (forget about URL here..)
> >
> >If the above dc:date is intended as the copyright date, it should be the
> >date of the creation (of a photo), and thus I think it should be a property
> >of the Image itself, not of Agent (or at least needs another node along
> >with Agent). Make sense ?
>
> As far as I understand the CC instructions at [1], it is the date of birth
> of the agent who "owns" the metadata. IMHO we could omit dc:date for
> Agent. in CC's third example code they don't mention a dc:date (probably
> because they are talking about an organization).
> Furthermore cc:Agent seems to be equivalent to foaf:Agent, so we could
> perhaps state "foaf:Agent owl:equivalentClass/rdfs:subClassOf cc:Agent".
> then we could add a foaf:mbox_sha1sum to cc:Agent to better identify the
> metadata "owner". (don't know if people are going to enter a valid date
> of birth..)

I agree with Benjamin here: it is the date of birth; I think we can (and
should, for privacy reasons) omit it; and I think it is important to
have an identifying property for the Agent, like
mbox_sha1sum/homepage/weblog/page.

Are there any objections to this? If not, I'll make the changes to the
examples, the wiki and the validator.

> another question:
> is there a difference between the author of the metadata and the agent in
> dc:rights of the metadata?
> if they are (always) the same we could use a nodeID for more compact
> metadata, e.g.:
>
> <rdf:Description rdf:about=''>
>   <an:annotates rdf:resource='...jpg'/>
>   <an:author>
>     <foaf:Person rdf:nodeID="p1">
>       <foaf:name>...</foaf:name>
>       <foaf:mbox_sha1sum>...</foaf:mbox_sha1sum>
>     </foaf:Person>
>   </an:author>
>   <an:created>2004-01-25T20:04:50Z</an:created>
>   <cc:license rdf:resource="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/..." />
>   <dc:rights rdf:nodeID="p1"/>
> </rdf:Description>

I *think* they will always be the same. That shortens things a bit,
which is nice (this technique could also be applied to the license for
the image and the dc creator of the image).

The only difference is that the dc:title of the Agent isn't there any
more. It was a little odd to use dc:title there in the first place, but
if there's a lot of data out there that uses that formulation, that
might be a case for continuing to use it.

Any opinions?

> but I don't know if this eases or complicates code generation and
> reasoning.. I'll shut up now.

I don't think so - unless tools are looking out for that dc:title...

> benjamin
>
> [1] http://creativecommons.org/technology/metadata/extend

cheers,

Libby