Re: Named graphs next draft

Hi,

I think the abstract should highlight more clearly, that Sematic Web
publishing is only one application area of Named Graphs. The term
"Web-of-Trust" that Patrick was using refers to one specific trust mechanism
(the one used by PGP). Because we are proposing the usage of different
mechanism, we should also phrase something more general in the abstract. My
current take is:

The Semantic Web consists of many RDF graphs named by URIs. This
paper extends the syntax and semantics of RDF to cover such
collections of Named Graphs. This enables RDF statements that
describe graphs, which is beneficial in many Semantic Web
application areas. As a case study, we explore the application
area of Semantic Web publishing: Named Graphs allow publishers to
communicate assertional intent, and to sign their graphs;
information consumers can evaluate specific graphs using
task-specific trust policies, and act on information from those
named graphs that they accept. Graphs are trusted depending on:
their content; information about the graph; and the task the user
is performing. The extension of RDF to Named Graphs provides a
formally defined framework which could be used as a foundation for
the Semantic Web trust layer.

Is the last sentence to ambitious?
We could also write:

This provides a foundation for information consumers to subjectively
evaluate the trustworthiness of information found on the Semantic Web using
a formally defined framework.

I will include some other changes, that I have discussed with Jeremy, and
send an updated version of the paper tonight.

Chris