Re: Inherent Namespace Ambiguities - A Serious Fundamental Problem?

From: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 12:39:12 -0400
To: ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk (Henry S. Thompson)
Cc: www-archive@w3.org

> Namespaces are not about disambiguating the semantics of names, just
> names as such and their ownership.

What does it mean to "own" a name?   How can you tell who or what "owns"
a name?   In what scenarios does ownership matter or appear?

I have some drafty answers to these, near to:
  http://esw.w3.org/topic/FollowLinksForMoreInformation
  http://esw.w3.org/topic/NamespaceSquating
  http://esw.w3.org/topic/NamespaceDistortion

Lately I've been reading Kripke and getting a better handle on this,
but I haven't expressed my thoughts on it yet.

> This is not a bug, it's a feature -- as Michael Kay says,
> interpretation is always context-bound, that's in the nature of names.

And yet human and machine networks only scale when you have a global
context, like URIs and the web.   That's why we treat URIs as having
(mostly) a single meaning, right?

   -- sandro