Re: [RSS-DEV] Poll/vote proposal: YahooGroups / RSS 1.0 namespace PURL -> w3.org

From what I gather from Danbri's post, this is just an informal hosting
arrangement with no further strings.  That said, I'd very much like to make
sure our site maintains its independence, bylaws, authors, etc.

Assuming (and we'll get to this after the first vote is concluded) we want
to run a Weblog for RSS-DEV, I think it'd be great if the W3C could host
that as well.

Rael

On 1/11/02 6:20 AM, "Eric van der Vlist" <vdv@dyomedea.com> sayeth:

> Hi Dan,
>
> I think it's a good idea and an honnor for RSS 1.0 to be hosted on the
> W3C Web site but I am wondering under which licence it will be published.
>
> Will it it covered (or absorbed) by a general licence applying to
> documents published on the W3C web site or can it keep its current
> licence unaltered?
>
> Thanks
>
> Eric
>
> Dan Brickley wrote:
>
>> RSS 1.0 WG,
>>
>> The Yahoogroups web service, to which the PURL for the RSS 1.0 namespace
>> URI, http://purl.org/rss/1.0/ currently redirects, now requires cookies.
>> This makes it tricky for the XHTML/RDDL/RDFSchema document at that URI to
>> be dereferenced by automated tools.
>>
>> I copy below a quick sanity-check exchange w/ Rael. I have mirrored our
>> namespace document at w3.org so that it is accessible without cookies. I
>> propose that we reconfigure the PURL server to point to this URI instead
>> of to yahoogroups, at least for the main RSS 1.0 URI. I'll propose a poll
>> to that effect once we've had time to discuss any possible complications
>> or alternatives. If the poll is positive, we can take it to a WG vote.
>>
>> http://www.w3.org/2002/01/rss/rss1_namespace
>>
>> I'll keep this sync'd with any changes to the master copy which currently
>> resides on www.yahoogroups.com. I'm happy to host such RSS-related docs at
>> W3C (loosly under the RDF Interest Group banner, ie. this isn't about
>> going standards-track at W3C). However at W3C we don't yet have the kind
>> of easy file-sharing tools offered by Yahoo, and I'm wary of creating a
>> bottleneck for the kind of collaboration we've achieved through the use
>> of Yahoo's (advertisement-strewn) Web services. We do however take URI
>> longevity pretty seriously, so I'm happy to offer the WG
>> http://www.w3.org/2002/01/rss/rss1_namespace as a URI that
>> http://purl.org/rss/1.0/ might redirect to, or that tool developers might
>> make use of.
>>
>> We could probably copy a bunch of the other docs from the WG filespace on
>> yahoogroups to W3C (eg. the modules), and it may be that the workings of
>> the PURL server might require this for PURLs that begin with the same URI;
>> I'd need to check.  Perhaps someone more familiar with the PURL service
>> could comment? (EricM?)
>>
>> So I propose a poll (and then vote), with draft text as follows:
>>
>> (hmm, I've not done one of these before. sorry if this sounds po-faced!)
>>
>> [[
>> The RSS 1.0 WG accepts the offer to host some or all of the RSS 1.0 PURL
>> redirections on the W3C's Web site. This constitutes an informal
>> collaboration
>> between the RSS 1.0 WG and the W3C RDF / Semantic Web Interest Group; the
>> continued management of the RSS 1.0 specification and associated
>> extensions remains with the RSS 1.0 Working Group. The motivation for this
> [...]

Rael

Rael Dornfest
Researcher
O'Reilly & Associates, Inc.
Weblog: http://www.oreillynet.com/~rael/

The O'Reilly Emerging Technology Conference
May 13-16, 2002 - Santa Clara, CA.
http://conferences.oreillynet.com/etcon2002/