Re: suggested replacement text "circle or spline"

On Friday, August 30, 2002, 11:03:22 PM, Dan wrote:

DC> On Fri, 2002-08-30 at 15:13, Chris Lilley wrote:
DC> [...]
>>   I agree that there is a need to show other examples of fragment
>>   identifiers on other media types, to convey some of the richer
>>   possibilities, before ending that paragraph with the description of
>>   what RDF does with fragment identifiers.
>>
>>   Paul Prescod has correctly pointed out that fragment identifiers, in
>>   XML-based formats, point to elements.

DC> I disagree.

DC> RDF is an XML-based format,

I agree that RDF has an XML representation, among others. It seems
that the fragment identifier syntax for RDF is based on the RDF model
and is, thus, different to what the rest of XMl formats do.

DC> but fragment identifiers in RDF
DC> don't (necessarily) refer to elements.

Agreed.

DC> It seems to me that both in both HTML and RDF, a URI reference
DC> foo#bar refers to 'whatever bar means in the document foo'.

I consider that an imprecise description.

DC> I still haven't researched the details of how linking
DC> works in SVG, so I'm not replying to www-tag just yet.

It still baffles me why you need to 'research' the details of how
linking works in SVG rather than simply discussing whatever is
troubling you with Dean or myself.

DC> I just wanted to note that no, this isn't the issue
DC> I was going to raise. Or maybe it is the same issue,
DC> but it's an entirely different disposition.

OK well, my suggested text still stands as my suggested replacement for
a part of the document that other people have complained about (and
rightly complained in my view).

I guess I won't know whether its the same issue as yours or not until
you disclose what that issue is.