Re: UPDATE: datatypes

On Mon, 2001-12-17 at 11:19, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
> 		Datatypes in SWOL
>
> 	Peter F. Patel-Schneider
> 	Bell Labs Research
> 	(17 December 2001)
>

> The semantics and syntax documents that I sent out contain a treatment of
> datatypes that has the following features.
>
> 1/ Local datatyping syntax (and verification) can be handled by XML Schema
>    verification.  In particular,
>
>    <Person rdf:about="John">
>      <age xsi:type="xsd:int">10</age>
>    </Person>
>
>    results in the age of John being the integer 10.

Where is the specification of that syntax?

It doesn't mean what you suggest it means when parsed as RDF.

> There are some problems and questions that remain, however, particularly
> with respect to using XML Schema datatypes.
>
> 1/ How can constructed XML Schema datatypes be referenced?
>
> 2/ Who will build an XML Schema system that has the extra interfaces
>    required by this way of handling datatypes?  There are a couple of
>    tricky parts in the interface having to do with determining that the
>    only possible denotation of a numeral as an integer is the usual one,
>    and similar issues for the other datatypes.
>
> 3/ Will the RDF Core WG come up with a specification that is compatible
>    with this general way of handling datatypes?
>

> Action Items for the Clean-Up Task Force:
>
> [Relevant comments from other WG members are welcome.]
>
> 1/ Determine if you disagree with the following:
>    - The above is a reasonable way of handling datatypes in SWOL.

nope; it's very much more complex, syntacitcally and
in the model theory, than other alternatives
under discussion in the RDF Core WG.

>    - The above does not introduce other problems.
>
> 2 (optional)/ Make suggestions for improvements.

See Melnick's work in the RDF Core WG:
 http://www-db.stanford.edu/~melnik/rdf/datatyping/