Re: Annotea for multimedia documents

Hello Daniel,

You have an interesting project. There are two points to be solved:

1. Have some kind of expression identifying the section (instant,
   region,. ..) of the multimedia presentation that has been annotated.

2. Storing this information in the annotation.

For 1, we haven't done any such work ourselves. You could try to
inspire yourself from SMIL or from the Timed Text WG, which Dan
Brickley cited not so long ago[1].

For 2, the current Annotea RDF schema has a property called context which is
used for binding an annotation with a document. The value of this
property is a literal. So far, we have only been using XPointers. Marja
has started worked so that the semantics of the context can be better
specified. I see this as having any kind of context that can be
described with a string and an extra property pointing to the place that
defines that particular context semantics. We could then use XPointer, an
SVG template for graphics, something that points to a given instant
of an audio or video stream, or something for multimedia documents.

The work on the extension has just started. Marja published a first
draft not so long ago[2]. Comments are welcome.

Hope this answers your questions.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-annotation/2003JanJun/0013.html
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-annotation/2003JanJun/0010

-jose